Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Google's SiteStatus


Google's Site status provides webmasters with metrics on how the popular search-engine interacts with their sites. Here's how it works: you are first required to verify the site is yours by adding a meta-tag to the central index file of the site.

One you've done that, Google can provide relevant statistics including the top queries that landed Google searchers at your site. For example, one of the top Google searches for visitors to my site was for the phrase, "my food pyramid". As of this writing, I'm #9 behind the US Dept. of Agriculture, the Dairy Council of California, and Fat Elvis. Just kidding about that last one, I don't think Fat Elvis' personal food pyramid would attract a lot of visitors. The ninth result lands searchers at my blog post entitled, oddly enough, "My Food Pyramid."

Anyhow, if you don't routinely track referrals to your website, Site Status is a useful tool that provides additional insight into how folks found you.

Google: Site status

No comments: