Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Hunch.com: Proof that even MIT students can be imbeciles

I enjoy checking out new web applications, especially ones that purport to save time for visitors. Such was my mindset I when I surfed to Hunch.com (no link, for reasons that will soon become obvious). A text ad led me to the site with an offer along the lines of "Find the blogs that match your preferences". And the clean, friendly interface promised just that, listing a series of blogs and asking me to offer a thumbs up or thumbs down on each.

Some of the blogs also had "insider" advice to help guide my selections -- nonsensical, it would seem, if Hunch were really trying to simply gather my unbiased opinions and then render a judgment.

I think I detected a subtle pattern with respect to the insider advice. See if you pick it up:






Oxymoronic: a "preferences" site that railroads its views into your consciousness. That would be Hunch.com. I gotta hunch it ain't gonna be too successful.

Oh, and if you Hunch guys happen to stop by, my response to your Statist views is briefly stated here. Put down the Python manual for a few hours and pick up a copy of the Constitution.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have more than a 'hunch' that the $200,000 per nerd is a bad return on the investment.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered a site called TheyAnswer which lets you ask people you know for answers, recommendations, and reviews. And somehow TheyAnswer automatically targets the right people to answer your questions. Amazing!

http://www.theyanswer.com